Communications and Outreach Associate (Temporary Summer Position)
The Friends of the Bourne Rail Trail are seeking a Communications and Outreach Associate to coordinate and spearhead the organization’s communication, marketing, and outreach efforts during the 2018 summer season. The person in this position will help advance the development of a 6.5-mile rail trail on Cape Cod that serves as the “missing link” between the Cape Cod Canal Bikepath and the Shining Sea Bikeway. Completing the “missing link” will create a 25+ mile bike and pedestrian path connecting Sandwich, Bourne, Falmouth, and Woods Hole.
The position is a tremendous opportunity for a dedicated, mature, and responsible self-starter to make meaningful contribution to a rail-trail project that is still in its development phase, while gaining meaningful professional experience. College students (undergraduate and graduate) as well as teachers and others seeking temporary summer employment are encouraged to apply.
- Manage the Organization’s Trail Ambassador Program, which includes recruiting volunteers to staff information booths along the Cape Cod Canal and Shining Sea Bikeway; ensuring that the volunteer calendar is appropriately staffed on weekends throughout the summer; work with board members to train volunteers; result will lead to increased visibility for the organization and a larger support base and subscriber base to the Organization’s subscriber list
- Staff the Organization’s information booth at local and regional events to educate the public about the project;
- Develop 1-2 social media posts per week to promote the BRT and grow the organization’s social media audience. These posts will be varied and diverse and will serve to educate, inspire, and inform the general public to the organization’s mission;
- Develop content and material for the organization’s summer and fall 2018 e-Newsletter, including feature stories, pictures, and graphics;
- Develop maps, graphics, and other visual communications;
- Assist with planning and coordinating the organization’s yet-to-be determined summer 2018 event;
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned;
Qualifications and Skills
- An undergraduate or graduate student with an interest and demonstrated commitment to building healthy, active, and fun places to live. Others will be considered, including local teachers, with the understanding that this is a limited term position that will not exceed 12 weeks.
- College coursework may include: communications, marketing, urban planning, landscape architecture, public administration, business administration, among others;
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to a broad audience through a variety of communication platforms including email, newsletter, social media, and other platforms;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate group meetings and activities
- Comfortable speaking in front of small-medium sized groups;
- Outgoing and engaging with a diverse public;
- Self-starter and highly motivated individual with a demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision to complete tasks;
- Above all, the ideal candidate is resourceful, passionate, and takes great pride in their work;
The employee must have their own transportation and be able to travel easily throughout the Upper Cape during normal business hours; the employee must have their own computer or readily available computer access during normal business hours; it is expected that the employee will work remotely, but will be located on the Upper Cape during normal business hours.
This is a paid position that is budgeted for 12 weeks; the employee will be compensated at a rate of $16/hour and will be expected to work 40 hours per week; no benefits; a flexible schedule is available.
Candidates must have a valid driver's license the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of Cape Cod.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and a work sample to Nathan Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in your email subject line: “Last Name –BRT Summer Associate 2018.” Applications should be submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 27, 2018.